ABOUT THE VIRGINIA WRITERS CLUB (VWC)
GOLDEN NIB WRITING CONTEST
The Golden Nib is a two-tier writing competition. Entries are submitted and judged at the VWC Chapters first. Each Chapter submits only its first-place winning entries for VWC statewide judging (second tier). Entrants who live within the jurisdiction of a VWC Chapter must enter the first tier of the competition through that Chapter. For those living in an area where no Chapter exists, they must submit their entries to the Chapter located closest to them. First-place Chapter winners must either be a current member of the VWC or must join the VWC to advance to the state-level competition – a membership application and payment of dues must accompany the entry.)
WRITE BY THE RAIL (WBTR) CONTEST RULES
WBTR contest rules mirror the VWC contest requirements – further information on the state-level process is available at: www.virginiawritersclub.org. Entries will be accepted in the categories of Fiction, Nonfiction and Poetry. WBTR will recognize 1st, 2nd & 3rd winners in each category.
1. Manuscripts must be the original, unpublished work of the entrant, and must not have won a prize at any level in any other competition. Submissions can come from entries published in your personal blogs. Writing published in blogs other than your own or on social network sites or in an online publication are ineligible and should not be submitted.
2. Entrants may submit one entry per category of fiction, non-fiction and poetry. Fiction and non-fiction entries must be no longer than 3,500 words. Poetry entries must be no longer than 50 lines.
3. Format: Submissions not in accord with format and other rules will be disqualified.
a. Detachable cover sheet including author’s name, address, telephone number, email address (if available), category (fiction, non-fiction, poetry) and title of entry.
b. All other pages must show contest category, title and page number in the header. If the author’s name appears on any other page of the manuscript, the entry will be disqualified.
c. Prose (fiction and non-fiction) manuscripts must be printed in a plain and legible font, such as Times New Roman in 12-to 14- pitch. Manuscripts must be printed on 8 ½ by 11-inch white paper, double-spaced, with one-inch margins top, bottom and left, and a ragged right margin.
d. Poetry manuscripts must be printed in a plain, legible font, such as Times New Roman in 12- to 13-pitch, Manuscripts must be printed on 8 ½ by 11-inch white paper with 1-inch margins top and bottom.
5. Submissions must include an original and one copy of the manuscript.
8. VWC state-level Awards are 1st Place, $100; 2nd Place, $50; and 3rd Place, $25. State winning entries in each category will be published in Portable Data File (*.pdf) format, on the VWC Web site. All other rights remain the property of the author.
Submit entries by July 15
To: June Forte, 12702 Valleywood Dr., Woodbridge, VA 22192