Wednesday, December 12, 2012

National Numbers in for National Novel Writing Month

It ended November 30, but it took a bit of time for the total numbers to come in.  Why?  Because National Novel Writing Month participants collectively wrote a whopping 3,291,071,794 words!

WbtR Co-founder Cindy Brookshire completed the challenge and reported how it turned out in our area.

Congratulations to Cindy and all our prolific, local writers!  Marathon writing during the holiday season is a true accomplishment.

Local Novelists Finish 50K Word Sprint
More than 3,000 in region participated in National Novel Writing Month.

By Cindy Brookshire

The baristas at Barnes & Noble on Sudley Road in Manassas keep the hot coffee coming. In a corner of the bookstore coffee shop, a pocket of sleep-deprived writers have pushed together tables for a final three-hour write-in, a communal sprint to the Nov. 30 deadline of National Novel Writing Month.

NaNo, as participants shorten it, is the world’s largest writing event and nonprofit literary crusade. More than 250,000 participants pledge to write 50,000 words in 30 days, starting from scratch and reaching “The End” by Nov. 30. There are no judges, no prizes, and entries are deleted from the server before anyone even reads them.

Julie Ehrmantraut (“Jules”) is one of 650 regional volunteers in more than 60 countries who act as Municipal Liaisons for NaNo. “We have upwards of 3,000 writers participating from the Northern Virginia, about 500 active in the regional forum, and about 100 that I see over the course of month at write-ins,” says the 32-year-old stay-at-home mom from Montclair. She’s written nine novels since 2005, spanning genres from space western to paranormal. Her current entry is science fiction.

Natalie Foley, a 28-year-old nanny, crochets while lending support. The Manassas resident filed her novel early. “Typically I write romance,” says Natalie. While Julie is trying to find a publisher for her novels, Natalie prefers to keep hers private. “I’m very self-conscious,” she explains. “I write for me.”

A 25-year-old programmer analyst, Manassas resident Michael Reichelt turned an idea from one of his video game scripts into a stand-alone novel. His premise, “truth resists simplicity,” takes readers on a wild generation ship ride through the galaxy to another inhabited world. “I’ve done NaNo on my own before, but I never went to write-ins,” says Michael. “I’m more social this time around.” He plans to polish the novel and send it out for publication.

“Why do I do it? It’s a month of complete creative abandon,” says Layne Lewis, a 26-year-old Manassas native, who works at a title company and has been participating in NaNo since 2008.

“You let all of your restraints go and just put something out there and it’s a way to actually do it, instead of saying you would like to do it.”

“So even if you lose, you win,” agrees Elizabeth Roberts, a 27-year-old administrative assistant from Centreville. “A co-worker of mine is doing it and even though he knows he’s not going to make goal, still, he has 30,000 words! He never would have had that jump start if it wasn’t for NaNo.

And then there’s me. I had to try it. So I logged into the website and started my novel Nov. 1. They were right – the creative storehouse in my head poured out onto the page. I kept an easy daily pace of 2,000 words until Week 3. That’s when work deadlines and the holiday intervened. I logged back in and realized I’d missed eight days. The write-in saved me. I couldn’t let a bunch of Generation X and Millennials blow past me!

So today, Nov. 30, I uploaded 50,000 words for verification and hit the button. I have finished my first novel.

The best news of all – Jules, Natalie, Layne and the others meet year round at the Manassas Barnes & Noble. If you want to join them, head to the bookstore’s coffee shop Mondays from 7 pm to close.

Want to see a local published NaNo novel? Check out Katherine Gotthardt’s Approaching Felonias Park, published Nov. 30, 2011 by Aberdeen Bay. Gotthardt donates proceeds from the book to local food pantries.



No comments:

Post a Comment